Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
|Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events|
Walter F. Parkes
|Pengarang||Lemony Snicket (buku)
Robert Gordon (lakon layar)
|Pengedar||Paramount Pictures (AS)
|Mula ditayang||17 Disember 2004|
|Tempoh ditayang||107 minit|
|Perbelanjaan||$125,000,000 AS (anggaran)|
|Laman web rasmi|
|Rujukan All Movie Guide|
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events ialah sebuah filem yang diarahkan oleh Brad Silberling, yang dikeluarkan pada 2004, dan 10 Mac 2005 di Malaysia. Filem ini berdasarkan tiga novel, The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room dan The Wide Window, dalam siri buku Lemony Snicket, dan dibintangi Emily Browning sebagai Violet Baudelaire, Liam Aiken sebagai Klaus Baudelaire, Kara dan Shelby Hoffman sebagai Sunny Baudelaire, dan Jim Carrey sebagai Count Olaf.
Seperti dalam buku-buku, latar cerita ini tidak diketahui. The film reflects this ambiguity in its anachronistic art direction; it was praised for its creative sets and costumes, all of which have a darkly expressionistic and gothic feel, leading to a highly unusual and creative visual motif. Silberling has said this was partly inspired by the visual style of the similarly themed The Night of the Hunter.
Ringkasan cerita[sunting | sunting sumber]
Film dinarasikan oleh Lemony Snicket (Jude Law). Mengisahkan tentang Violet Baudelaire (Emily Browning), Klaus (Liam Aiken), dan Sunny (Kara dan Shelby Hoffman) setelah orang tua mereka tewas karena kebakaran. Ketiga bersaudara adalah anak-anak yang memiliki kemampuan yang berupa kelebihan tersendiri. Violet Baudelaire sang anak sulung, memiliki kemampuan dalam menciptakan sebuah penemuan yang unik dan bermanfaat. Klaus yang merupakan satu-satunya laki-laki dari ketiga bersaudara adalah seorang kutu buku yang selalu ingat setiap apa yang telah dibacanya. Sunny adalah yang termuda, dan memiliki kemampuan dengan giginya yang kuat.
Para pelakon[sunting | sunting sumber]
Novelis Daniel Handler menunjukkan Count Olaf sebagai jenis James Mason. Carrey yang tidak familiar dengan serial buku apabila dia bermain, tetapi menjadi fan seri itu. "Handler's books are just a bold and original way to tell a children's story," kata aktor itu. Carrey juga diattraktkan kepada peran walaupun konsern self-parodi. Sutradara Brad Silberling yang terbuka kepada idea Carrey's idea improvisation untuk skene, terutama samarannya sebagai Stephano dan Captain Sham. Untuk membuatkan prosthetic makeup senang, Carrey memotong rambutnya untuk pemerannya. Aktor inspirasi untuk suara Olaf ialah menambahkan suara Orson Welles dan Béla Lugosi.
Emily Browning yang diperankan sebagai Violet Baudelaire apabila dia diaudisikan di pangillan pemain di Australia. Dia yang dihantar skrip asal Handler apabila Barry Sonnenfeld yang mencadangkan untuk menyutradata, dan dia skrin ujikan untuk pemeran menggunakan asen British. Aktor yang tidak dikastkan sehingga Silberling diambil alih; asen karakter yang ditukarkan kepada Amerika Serikat. Browning menjadi fan buku selepas membaca skrip asal Handler.
Produksi[sunting | sunting sumber]
Pengembangan[sunting | sunting sumber]
Nickelodeon Movies membeli film rights serial buku A Series of Unfortunate Events pada Mei 2000. Paramount Pictures, pemilik Nickelodeon Movies, setuju untuk memberi kewangan, sertai Scott Rudin. Various directors, including Terry Gilliam and Roman Polanski, were interested in making the film. One of author Daniel Handler's favorite candidates was Guy Maddin. In June 2002, Barry Sonnenfeld was hired to direct. He was chosen because he previously collaborated with Rudin and because of his black comedy directing style from The Addams Family, Addams Family Values and Get Shorty. Sonnenfeld referred to the Lemony Snicket books as his favorite children's stories. The director hired Handler to write the script dengan intenti membuat Lemony Snicket sebagai muzikal, dan memerankan Jim Carrey sebagai Count Olaf pada September 2002.
The film suffered setbacks in development in December 2002. Rudin left Unfortunate Events over budget concerns. While Sonnenfeld and Carrey remained, Sonnenfeld admitted he was skeptical of Paramount's $100 million budget. The studio decided that changing the shoot from Hollywood to Wilmington, North Carolina would be less expensive. The April 2003 start date was also pushed back. Paramount eventually settled the situation in January 2003 by enlisting help from DreamWorks to co-finance the film, but Sonnenfeld vacated the director's position. Rudin and Sonnenfeld had no involvement with the film afterward, but were credited as executive producers. Carrey remained with approval over the hiring of the next director.
|"Very little of what I wrote is in the film, which I actually think is appropriate being as that I was writing it for Barry Sonnenfeld. It's a director's medium and Brad Siberling makes entirely different films from Barry Sonnenfeld. I wasn't filled with resentment because they didn't use it [my script], I was just disappointed because I'd worked a long time [on it] and Scott Rudin, Barry Sonnenfeld and I were all sort of ready to go, along with Jim Carrey, with the film that we had. So it was sort of a long, rocky, journey. But that's all [in the past]."|
|— Series author Daniel Handler|
Brad Silberling signed on to direct in February 2003. He was not familiar with the book series when he was first approached. He quickly read the first three books and was excited that "Hollywood was taking a chance to put over $100 million to adapt these inventive children's books onto screen". Handler, who wrote eight drafts of the script for Sonnenfeld, was replaced by Robert Gordon in May 2003. Handler approved of the changes that were made to his original screenplay. "I was offered credit on the film for screenwriting by the Writers Guild of America," Handler continued, "but I didn't take it because I didn't write it. I felt like it would be an insult to the guy who did."
Filming[sunting | sunting sumber]
Filming was set to begin in October 2003, but it was pushed back. Principal photography for Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events began on November 10, 2003, using the sound stages and backlot at Paramount Studios in Hollywood. Director Brad Silberling avoided using too many digital or chroma key effects because he wanted the younger actors to feel as if they were working in a realistic environment. Olaf's mansion occupied two sound stages, while the graveyard and the ruins of the Baudelaire mansion were constructed on the Paramount backlot. After 21 weeks of shooting at Paramount, production then moved to Downey Studios, a former NASA facility, for eight more weeks. Downey housed the circular railroad crossing set complete with forced perspective scenery, as well as a newly-constructed water tank complete with over one million gallons of water. The water tank was instrumental in filming scenes at Briny Beach, Lake Lachrymose, Domocles Dock and Curdled Cave. Filming for A Series of Unfortunate Events ended on May 29, 2004.
Design[sunting | sunting sumber]
Silberling, production designer Rick Heinrichs and costume designer Colleen Atwood all aimed for the film's setting to be ambiguous, giving it a "timeless" feel. Heinrichs also added steampunk designs to the period. To contribute to the setting, Silberling hired Emmanuel Lubezki as the cinematographer because he was impressed with the trio's work on Sleepy Hollow.
Lubezki compared the cinematic similarities to Sleepy Hollow, notably the monochromatic look of both films. He also choose a specific color palette backdrop for A Series of Unfortunate Events. "The story is very episodic, so we picked a different color scheme for each section. For example," Lubezki continued, "Count Olaf’s house has a lot of greens, blacks and grays; the house of Uncle Monty has a lot of greens and browns and a bit of yellow; and the house of Aunt Josephine has blues and blacks." The railroad crossing set was constructed on a cyclorama, which was the most ambitious setpiece for the art department on using elements of "in house" special effects and matte paintings.
Robert D. Yeoman replaced Lubezski as cinematographer when Lubezski had to leave the production to commit to The New World. Yeoman mostly worked on the expansive harbor set at Downey. The art direction was inspired by The Night of the Hunter, which also influenced Handler for the writing of his books. Atwood commented that the Mr. Poe character was based on Edward Gorey paintings.
Visual effects[sunting | sunting sumber]
Industrial Light & Magic (ILM), supervised by Stefen Fangmeier, created the film's 505 visual effects-shots. The filmmakers used as few digital effects as possible, though the train and smoke for the railroad crossing scene was entirely created using computer animation. ILM also used color grading techniques for the Lake Lachrymose scene, which required complete animation for the leeches. The digital animators studied footage of the 2003 Atlantic hurricane season to accurately depict Hurricane Herman, which was ILM's most ambitious use of computer-generated imagery (CGI) for the film.
Nexus Productions designed the opening "Littlest Elf" animated sequence by modeling it after stop motion animation and completing it with computer animation. The snakes at Uncle Monty's house were a combination of real snakes and animatronics. The animatronics, primarily the Incredibly Deadly Viper, were used as reference models that ILM later enhanced using CGI.
Because working with infants was sometimes risky in producing a film, four scenes involving Sunny Baudelaire required CGI with motion capture technology. Among these are the shot of Sunny hanging on to a table by her teeth, catching a spindle with her mouth and the scene where she is entangled with the Incredibly Deadly Viper. Animation supervisor Colin Brady used his baby daughter for motion capture recording. A remote controlled animatronic of Sunny was also designed by Kevin Yagher.
Waralaba[sunting | sunting sumber]
Paramount Pictures dan Nickelodeon Movies harap film menjadi waralaba seperti seri film Harry Potter. Jim Carrey yang diatraktkan ke film kerana dia mendapati ianya menjadi karakter waralaba berulang alik yang membenarkan setiap kali untuk pemerannya baru. "I don't have a deal [for a sequel], but it's one that I wouldn't mind doing again because there are so many characters," aktor kata pada Desember 2004. "I mean, it's just so much fun. It's so much fun being a bad actor playing a character..." Pada Mei 2005, produser Laurie MacDonald kata "Lemony Snicket is still something Paramount is interested in pursuing and we're going to be talking with them more." Pada interview Oktober 2008, Daniel Handler kata bahawa "a sequel does seem to be in the works. Paramount has had quite a few corporate shakeups, widely documented in articles I find too stupefying to finish, which has led to many a delay. Of course many, many plans in Hollywood come to naught, but I'm assured that another film will be made. Someday. Perhaps." Pada June 2009, Silberling konfirmed dia masih mencakapkan proyek dengan Handler, dan cadangkan sekuel sebagai film stop motion kerana pemeran yang bertumbuh terlalu tua. "In an odd way, the best thing you could do is actually have Lemony Snicket say to the audience, 'Okay, we pawned the first film off as a mere dramatization with actors. Now I'm afraid I’m going to have to show you the real thing.'"
Lihat juga[sunting | sunting sumber]
Rujukan[sunting | sunting sumber]
- 'Lemony' a lovable comedy for all ages | www.azstarnet.com
- ROTTEN TOMATOES: The results are enthralling, a term that here means 'an improvement upon the best-selling books.'
- Spence D.. "Interview: Lemony Snicket", IGN, Desember 16, 2004. Dicapai pada April 7, 2009.
- Otto, Jeff. "An Interview with Jim Carrey", IGN, March 12, 2004. Dicapai pada April 7, 2009.
- Jim Carrey, Brad Silberling (DVD). Building a Bad Actor. Paramount.
- Otto, Jeff. "Interview: Jim Carrey", IGN, December 15, 2004. Dicapai pada April 7, 2009.
- Paul Fischer. "Interview: Emily Browning", Dark Horizons, December 14, 2004. Dicapai pada July 16, 2009.
- Hayes, Dade. "Nickelodeon Movies nabs Snicket series", Variety, May 10, 2000. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Bing, Jonathan. "H'w'd stalks crime scribe", Variety, February 26, 2002. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Fleming, Michael. "Par on Snicket ticket", Variety, June 11, 2002. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Fleming, Michael. "Snicket in thicket", Variety, December 12, 2002. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Fleming, Michael. "Jim's juiced for Lemony", Variety, September 18, 2002. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Fleming, Michael. "Diaz sings Jane refrain", Variety, July 13, 2003. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Fleming, Michael. "Helmer leaves Snicket post", Variety, January 12, 2003. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Fleming, Michael. "Silberling joining Snicket ticket", Variety, February 19, 2003. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Otto, Jeff. "Set Visit: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events", IGN, November 22, 2004. Dicapai pada April 7, 2009.
- Fleming, Michael. "Scribe brings new map to Snicket thicket", Variety, May 7, 2003. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Archerd, Army. "Crystal king on B'way", Variety, December 13, 2004. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- "Movie Preview: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events", Entertainment Weekly, August 10, 2004. Dicapai pada April 7, 2009.
- A Woeful World, 2005, Paramount DVD
- Graser, Marc. "'Burbs blossom on H'w'd backlots", Variety, July 25, 2004. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Fleming, Michael. "Just ticket for Snicket", Variety, September 13, 2003. Dicapai pada April 5, 2009.
- Williams, David E.. "A Darker Side of Fantasy", American Cinematographer, December 2004. Dicapai pada June 20, 2009.
- Colleen Atwood, Timothy Spall (DVD). Costumes and Other Suspicious Disguises. Paramount.
- (DVD) Trains, Leeches & Hurricanes. Paramount.
- (DVD) An Even More Alarming Conspiracy Involving Sunny. Paramount.
- (DVD) An Alarming Conspiracy Involving Sunny. Paramount.
- Otto, Jeff. "Producers Talk Ring 3 and Snicket Sequel", IGN, May 25, 2005. Dicapai pada April 7, 2009.
- Scott, Ronnie. "An Interview With Daniel Handler", BookSlut.com, October 2008. Dicapai pada April 7, 2009.
- Ditzian, Eric. "Lemony Snicket Director Brad Silberling Plans To Do Each Film In Different Medium", MTV News, June 3, 2009. Dicapai pada June 4, 2009.
Pautan luar[sunting | sunting sumber]
- Laman web rasmi
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events di Pangkalan Data Filem Internet
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events di Allmovie
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events di Rotten Tomatoes
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events di Metacritic
- Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events di Box Office Mojo
- Script-O-Rama: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events transcript