Mind Your Language
|<font-size=110%>Rencana ini sedang diusahakan oleh: BukanTeamBiasa|
|Mind Your Language|
|Negara asal||United Kingdom|
|Penerbit eksekutif||Stuart Allen
|Tempoh siaran||30 minit|
|Siaran asal||30 Disember 1977 – 15 Disember 1979
Mind Your Language adalah suatu siri televisyen komedi British yang terdahulunya disiarkan di ITV di antara 1977 dan 1979. Dikeluarkan oleh LWT dan diarah oleh Stuart Allen, ia terletak di sebuah sekolah untuk para pelajar dewasa di London, berfokus pada kelas Inggeris sebagai suatu Bahasa Asing oleh En. Jeremy Brown, dilakon oleh Barry Evans, yang harus menguruskan sekumpulan orang asing yang pelbagai ragam. Suatu versi baru sketsa ini dengan sesetengah pelakon asalnya disiarkan pada 1986.
Premis[sunting | sunting sumber]
Siri ini memberi tumpuan kepada pelajar dewasa dalam kelas bahasa Inggeris sebagai Bahasa Asing di sebuah sekolah London. Kelas-kelasnya diadakan pada awal petang, dan diajar oleh Encik Brown, walaupun adakalanya individu lain mengambil alih kelas tersebut jika dia tidak hadir. Kelas tersebut terdiri daripada warga asing dengan pelbagai peringkat penguasaan bahasa Inggeris. Jenaka persembahan berasal dari pelajar salah faham mengenai perkataan atau istilah Inggeris, dan memainkan stereotaip budaya negara individu asal mereka.
Musim Pertama berlaku lebih sepenggal penuh di sekolah, bermula dengan Encik Brown diupah oleh Guru Besar Cik Courtney, dan berakhir dengan pelajar menduduki peperiksaan Sijil Rendah Cambridge mereka. Musim Kedua bermula pada permulaan tahun persekolahan yang seterusnya, dengan semua kesepuluh pelajar tahun sebelumnya kembali selepas gagal dalam peperiksaan, dan dua pelajar baru menyertai mereka, ,menjumlahkan semuanya dua belas orang. Musim Pertama dan Dua khususnya berlaku dalam bilik darjah, tetapi musim kemudiannya mempunyai babak di luar sekolah.
Baru-baru ini rancangan itu telah dikritik kerana perkauman tanpa fantasi dan kekurangan ketepatan politik, tetapi ketika ditayangkan, rancangan tersebut popular kerana berseloroh tentang kepelbagaian budaya.
Pengeluaran[sunting | sunting sumber]
Rancangan tersebut dibatalkan pada tahun 1979 oleh Michael Grade, Timbalan Kawalan Hiburan LWT, yang menganggap rancangan itu berbentuk serangan stereotaip. Walau bagaimanapun siri ini telah dijual ke negara-negara lain, termasuk Pakistan, Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, India, Malaysia dan Singapura. Ia juga merupakan salah satu program TV British pertama yang ditayangkan di Afrika Selatan selepas berakhirnya boikot oleh Equity. Ia telah bangkit sebentar untuk pasaran eksport oleh pengeluar bebas pada pertengahan 1980. Beberapa syarikat ITV tidak menunjukkan satu episod yang dibuat dalam 1986. Hanya Granada menayangkan 13 episod akhir berturut-turut sebagai suatu siri lengkap. Siri 1986 pula telah difilemkan di Uxbridge Technical College, Middlesex.
Pelbagai rancangan televisyen antarabangsa berdasarkan premis Mind Your Language telah mengikuti siri asal. Antaranya ialah What a Country! (US), Zaban Sambhal Ke (India), Zaban Sambhal Kai (Pakistan) dan Second Chance! (Nigeria).
Episod[sunting | sunting sumber]
Musim 1[sunting | sunting sumber]
|01||"The First Lesson"||December 30, 1977|
|Mr. Brown becomes the new teacher of the English as a Foreign Language class, and meets his students for the first time.|
|02||"An Inspector Calls"||January 6, 1978|
|An education inspector is due to arrive at the school to observe the classes, Mr. Brown mistakes him for a new student.|
|03||"A Fate Worse Than Death"||January 13, 1978|
|Ranjeet asks Mr. Brown for help to escape an arranged marriage.|
|04||"All Through The Night"||January 20, 1978|
|The students' English is not improving, so Mr. Brown keeps them for the night, but they get locked in after hours.|
|05||"The Best Things In Life"||January 27, 1978|
|Jamila is arrested for shoplifting, but it's not her fault, because of her poor English, the stole items that she thought was "free", she asks Mr. Brown to return the items without getting caught.|
|06||"Come Back All Is Forgiven"||February 3, 1978|
|Ms. Courtney declares that Mr. Brown has not been performing well and threatens to dismiss him.|
|07||"The Cheating Game"||February 10, 1978|
|The students have to sit for a mock exam to prove their progress.|
|08||"Better To Have Loved and Lost"||February 17, 1978|
|Ali and Su Li announce that they're getting married, but Mr. Brown discovers that Ali is already married and takes Su Li for his second wife.|
|09||"Kill Or Cure"||February 24, 1978|
|Mr. Brown falls ill, leaving the class to the mercy of Ms. Courtney.|
|10||"Hello, Sailor"||March 3, 1978|
|Juan brings his Russian sailor friend Boris to Mr. Brown's class, Boris explains to Mr. Brown why he left Russia to stay in England, it's because he has fallen head-over-heels with an english woman.|
|11||"A Point Of Honour"||March 10, 1978|
|Danielle is being harassed by Mr. Jarvis, the woodwork teacher, after she tells him that she is engaged to Mr. Brown, Mr. Brown is challenged by Mr. Jarvis to a fighting ring in the gym.|
|12||"How's Your Father?"||March 17, 1978|
|Mr. Brown sympathizes his story to the class of how he was left on an orphanage on Jeremy Street as a baby 30 years ago, he grew up and never knew his parents. However, when he hears that Sidney had a baby and left it on the same orphanage, he believes that he might be his father.|
|13||"The Examination"||March 24, 1978|
|The students sit for their Lower Cambridge Certificate exam, but they are a little nervous.|
Season 2[sunting | sunting sumber]
|14||"All Present If Not Correct"||October 7, 1978|
|In the new school year, Mr. Brown meets two new faces and ten old ones who did not pass the exam.|
|15||"Queen For A Day"||October 14, 1978|
|It is announced that the Queen will be visiting the school.|
|16||"Brief Re-encounter"||October 21, 1978|
|Ms. Courtney is reunited with an old boyfriend.|
|17||"Many Happy Returns"||October 28, 1978|
|Ranjeet has been saving up his money to visit his mother for her birthday, but Mr. Brown loses it and the class has to work to get it back.|
|18||"Don't Forget The Driver"||November 4, 1978|
|The class are excited about a school trip, but things go wrong.|
|19||"A Hard Day's Night"||November 11, 1978|
|Mr. Brown's flat is being painted and he moves in with Giovanni and Max.|
|20||"Take Your Partners"||November 18, 1978|
|Mr. Brown has to choose whom to take to a charity dance.|
|21||"After Three"||November 25, 1978|
|The class have to prepare for the school's talent show.|
Season 3[sunting | sunting sumber]
|22||"I Belong To Glasgow"||October 27, 1979|
|A new student from Glasgow joins the class and starts chaos.|
|23||"Who Loves Ya Baby?"||November 3, 1979|
|Danielle brings a baby to class.|
|24||"No Flowers By Request"||November 10, 1979|
|Mr. Brown hurts his foot and is hospitalized.|
|25||"Just the Job"||November 17, 1979|
|Mr. Brown is offered a new highly paid job at another school.|
|26||"Guilty Or Not Guilty?"||November 24, 1979|
|All the students are brought to court for causing mischief in public.|
|27||"Repent At Leisure"||December 1, 1979|
|Anna is depressed for something she has to fix.|
|28||"The School Fete"||December 8, 1979|
|The school holds a fete. Max is held responsible for hiring an actor he knows to open the fete. Elsewhere, Mr. Brown misplaces Ms. Courtney's coat.|
|29||"What A Tangled Web"||December 15, 1979|
|Ali suspects that his wife is having an affair.|
Transmission details[sunting | sunting sumber]
- Series One (13) 30 December 1977-24 March 1978 · Friday 7p.m.
- Series Two (8) 7 October-25 November 1978 · Saturday mostly 6p.m.
- Series Three (8) 27 October-15 December 1979 · Saturday mostly 6.45p.m.
- Series Four (13) 4 January-15 December 1986
DVD releases[sunting | sunting sumber]
The series was released as a boxed set on Region 2 DVD in 2003, and on Region 1 DVD in 2004. However, this set excludes the Season 1 episode Kill Or Cure, the Season 2 episode Don't Forget The Driver, the Season 3 episode Guilty Or Not Guilty? and the entirety of Season 4.
An alternate boxed set was released by Network DVD in November 2007, containing the complete Seasons 1 to 3.
The remaining fourth series has yet to be released on DVD.
Cast and characters[sunting | sunting sumber]
School staff[sunting | sunting sumber]
- Jeremy Brown, portrayed by Barry Evans, is the English teacher and focal point of most of the series. He is hired in the series pilot, in which he is warned that the previous teacher was driven insane by the students. Mr. Brown is up to the challenge, and often has to put up with the students' often literal interpretations of the English language. Despite his frustrations with the students, he grows fond of them and often goes out of his way to help them and vice versa.
- Miss Dolores Courtney, portrayed by Zara Nutley, is the school's pompous and tight-fisted principal. She thinks poorly of Mr. Brown and his abilities as a teacher, and often drops in unannounced into his class to check on the students' progress. Over time she grows fond of Mr. Brown as well as his students.
- Sidney, portrayed by Tommy Godfrey (Season 1 - 3), is the caretaker of the school. He is a London Cockney who frequently speaks in slang rhyme. He becomes a father figure and friend to Mr. Brown and the male students of his class.
- Gladys, portrayed by Iris Sadler (Season 1 - 3), is the old lady in charge of the tea room at the school. She is, in contrast to Miss Courtney, affable and friendly towards Mr. Brown and the students. She takes Miss Courtney's domineering attitude in stride, and gets along well with everyone.
Pelajar[sunting | sunting sumber]
- Giovanni Capello (dalam musim 2 Giovanni Cupello), digambarkan oleh George Camiller, adalah seorang pemasak Itali, pelajar terbising dalam kelas dan monitor kelas de-facto. Dia berkawan karib dengan Max, yang menjadi teman sepangsapurinya. Masalah bahasa Inggeris Giovanni adalah masalah memahami metafor dan kata-kata besar, walaupun dia sering menjawab salah dengan sengaja untuk membuat para pelajar dalam kelas ketawa. Apabila terperanjat, dia sering mengatakan "Santa Maria" atau "Holy Ravioli", dan dia sering mengata "Okey kokey" daripada "OK".
- Anna Schmidt, digambarkan oleh Jacki Harding, adalah seorang JGerman stereotaip 1970an dan seorang au pair. Dengan pengenalannya, dia merujukkan "German efficiency", dan secara tertentu Anna dalah seorang pelajar yang rajin, sering menanyakan soalan legitimate dan apabila siri-siri dilanjutkan, menjawab soalan Mr. Brown secara betul. Masalah utamanya adalah mencampurkan "V" dan "W" bunyi.
- Chung Su-Lee, digambar oleh Pik-Sen Lim (Musim 1 - 3), adalah seorang setiausha di Kedutaan China. Dia tidak akan dilihat tanpa buku merah kecilnya pada Mao, yang dia sering memetik dari. Dia sering mengatur sebelah-menyebelah "R" dan "L". Pada awalnya dalam siri-siri, dia mempunyai persaigan ideolagi garang dengan Taro, kawan sekelas Jepunnya, tetapi kemudiannya dalam siri-siri, dia sering meloncat untuk mempertahankannya apabila suatu penghinaan sifat padanya atau China.
- Taro Nagazumi, portrayed by Robert Lee (Season 1 - 3) is a Japanese electronics representative. He has a reasonable command of English, but has a habit of adding "-o" to every word he says. Early in the series he is at odds with Su-Lee due to Japan and China's own political differences in the 1970s, but becomes a close friend of hers later on. He is never seen without his camera.
- Jamila Ranjha, portrayed by Jamila Massey (Season 1 - 3), is an Indian housewife from Bombay. When she first joins the class she can barely speak English, and needs Ali to translate her Urdu, but by series 3, she has become one of the better English speakers. She often calls Mr. Brown "Masterjee".
- Maximillian Papandrious, portrayed by Kevork Malikyan (Season 1 - 3), is a Greek shipping office worker, and is often paired with Giovanni. He is attracted to Danielle but as the show progresses the three became a gang of sorts. Max tends to misunderstand metaphors and large words. He also has a heavy accent, which causes him to add "H" to almost every word he says. Later, he shares his flat with Giovanni.
- Juan Cervantes, portrayed by Ricardo Montez, is a Spanish bartender with an optimistic streak. Juan is always laughing at himself, confident of his answers even when they are completely wrong. Early in the series Juan speaks almost no English, and answers everything with "por favor" (please), necessitating Giovanni to translate some key terms for him. Juan's English improves as the series went on, but he remained one of the worst speakers, often speaking a mix of English and Spanish. He cares a great deal for Mr. Brown, whom he considers almost family.
- Ranjeet Singh, portrayed by Albert Moses, is a Tube worker from Punjab in India and a very devoted Sikh. He constantly argues with Ali, who is a Pakistani Muslim. He tends to mix up his general knowledge, and upon being corrected he always puts his hands together for "a thousand apologies".
- Danielle Favre, portrayed by Francoise Pascal (Season 1 - 3), is an amorous French au pair who instantly grabs the attention of all men, including Mr. Brown. Her good looks often distract Giovanni and Max from their answers, while Mr. Brown is often found in seemingly incriminating positions with her. She is annoyed when Ingrid Svenson joins the class, instigating a rivalry for Mr. Brown's attention.
- Ali Nadeem, portrayed by Dino Shafeek (Season 1 - 3), is one of the first students that Mr. Brown meets at the school. He is originally from Lahore, Pakistan, although he once stated he grew up in Delhi. Never seen without his Jinnah cap, he is the most vocal of the students and often literally misinterprets everything said by others. As a Pakistani Muslim he has a vocal and occasionally physical rivalry with Ranjeet, who is an Indian Sikh. By the middle of Season 2, although they continue to argue, Ali's rivalry with Ranjeet becomes less malicious, and they are on occasion able to work together without complaint. Ali's typical catch phrase is "oh blimey!", and also "jolly good".
- Ingrid Svenson, portrayed by Anna Bergman (Season 2 and 4), is a Swedish au pair who joins the class at the beginning of Season 2. She is attractive and straightforward about her attraction to Mr. Brown, sparking a rivalry between her and Danielle. Her main problem with English is word order, often getting words mixed up, such as "you for I question answer". She transfers schools at the end of Season 2, but returns in the independently produced Season 4.
- Zoltán Szabó, portrayed by Gabor Vernon (Season 2), is a Hungarian student who only appears during Season 2. He has a very basic level of English and requires a phrasebook for everything. He picks up slang quickly, most of which comes from Giovanni and Juan. At the end of series 2, he goes back to Hungary. His typical catchphase is to say "Bocsánat?" [pronounced "bochanot", Hungarian word for 'Sorry', 'Excuse me'] to everything said to him in English.
- In the fourth season, Mr. Brown and Miss Courtney were still at the school, as were Anna, Giovanni, Ingrid, Juan and Ranjeet. New students included Maria Papandrious, portrayed by Jenny Lee-Wright, Michelle Dumas (Marie-Elise Grepne), Farrukh Azzam (Raj Patel), and Fu Wong Chang (Vincent Wong).