Adakalanya — misalnya, untuk rencana berkenaan topik yang ringkas atau kurang kontroversi, dan memetik sedikit sumber yang diterima umum — adalah memadai untuk menyediakan bahagian "Rujukan" di penghujung rencana yang mengandungi senarai rujukan am dan gambaran keseluruhan berwibawa terhadap subjek berkenaan (seperti buku teks dan rencana ulasan). Adakalanya ini masih tidak memadai, maka anda wajar menggunakan petikan dalam baris (''in-line citations'') seperti [[nota kaki]] atau [[rujukan Harvard]] yang diterangkan seperti berikut.
Remember though: '''the most important thing is to enter comprehensive reference information — that is, enough information so that a reader can find the original source with relative ease.'''
There are several ways of accomplishing this.
* When writing a new article or adding references to an existing article that has none, follow the ''established practice'' for the appropriate profession or discipline that the article is concerning (if available and unquestioned).
* An article's previous content contributors usually know the established practice - if possible, follow their lead if the article already has references.
* If the established practice is unavailable or disputed, contributors should decide on a style that they believe strikes an appropriate balance between preserving the readability of the text and making citations as precise and accessible as possible.
* If contributors differ as to the appropriate style of citation, they should defer to the article's main ''content contributors'' in deciding the most suitable format for the presentation of references.
* If no agreement can be reached, the style used should be that of the first major contributor.
'''If you are unclear as to which system or style to use, remember: the most important thing is to provide all the information one would need to identify and find the source. If necessary, put this information in the talk page, or in a comment on the main page, and ask others how to format it correctly for that article'''.
===Gaya untuk sebutan sumber===
Berikut ialah perincian gaya menyebut sumber yang boleh digunakan dalam rencana Wikipedia.
Tiga bentuk gaya sebutan sumber yang banyak digunakan dalam Wikipedia ialah ''[[Wikipedia:Harvard referencing|gaya Harvard]]'', ''[[Wikipedia:Nota kaki|nota kaki]]'' dan ''pautan HTML terbenam''
Perlu diberi perhatian, tidak kira mana-mana jenis sebutan<!--inline-citation--> yang digunakan, semua sumber rujukan kepada rencana mestilah disenaraikan dalam bahagian rujukan, iaitu di bahagian bawah rencana.
=Pautan HTML terbenam====
The MediaWiki software supports embedding HTML links directly into an article by enclosing a URL with single square brackets — <nowiki>[http://www.google.com]</nowiki> — which appears like this: [http://www.google.com <nowiki>[</nowiki>1<nowiki>]</nowiki>] A full citation must then be given in the References section like this:
<nowiki>*[http://google.com Google's website]</nowiki>, which appears as:
*[http://google.com Google's website]
A newspaper article referenced in an article by using an embedded link might be — <nowiki>[http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1601858,00.html]</nowiki> — which looks like this. [http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1601858,00.html <nowiki>[</nowiki>2<nowiki>]</nowiki>] The embedded link is placed after the period, or when placed within a sentence after a clause, then after the comma.
Then in the References section, a full citation is provided:
<nowiki>*[http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1601858,00.html "Sorrell accuses Murdoch of panic buying"] by John Plunkett, </nowiki>''The Guardian'', October 27, 2005, retrieved October 27, 2005
which appears as:
*[http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,14173,1601858,00.html "Sorrell accuses Murdoch of panic buying"] by John Plunkett, ''The Guardian'', October 27, 2005, retrieved October 27, 2005
It is particularly important in the case of online newspaper articles to include byline, headline, newspaper, and date of publication, because many newspapers keep stories online only for a certain period before transferring them to the archives. With a full citation, readers will be able to find the article easily even if the link doesn't work.
It's also important to provide and place in quotation marks the headline of the article, or title if it's a scholarly paper, so that Wikipedia is attributing a description of the article's contents to a source, and not describing it ourselves. For example, it isn't Wikipedia's claim that Sorrell is accusing Murdoch of panic buying, but the ''Guardian's'', and we should precisely quote the ''Guardian's'' headline, and not replace it with "A story about Murdoch's panic buying".
An advantage of these embedded links is that it is easy for an online reader and other editors to click on the link and jump immediately to the cited article (if still working). In principle, this makes checking sources very easy. Another advantage of these embedded links is that they are easy to create and maintain.
There are disadvantages with such embedded links, however. First, there is question of how much such checking and maintenance takes place: anyone who takes a random sample of these will find dead embedded links. Also, such links do not normally provide all the information that a traditional citation would have; thus, if the material moves or is dramatically changed, it can be difficult to rediscover the cited material, which is why it is particularly important to include a full citation in the References section.
[[Harvard referencing|Sistem perujukan Harvard]] memaparkan sebutan separa <!--places a partial citation--> — iaitu nama pengarang dan tahun penerbitan karya yang diletakkan dalam kurungan — dalam teks rencana, dan sebutan lengkap pada penghujung teks dalam senarai "Rujukan" dalam urutan huruf. Menurut ''The Oxford Style Manual'', sistem Harvard ini "paling banyak digunapakai dalam bidang sains fizikal dan sosial" (Ritter 2002).
*For one author, add the author's surname and the year of publication in parentheses (round [[bracket]]s) after the sentence or paragraph, and before the period: for example (Smith 2005).
* For two authors, use (Smith & Jones 2005); for more authors, use (Smith et al. 2005).
* If the "References" section contains two or more works by the same author but published the same year, use a letter after the year to distinguish the different sources (for example, (Smith 2005a) and (Smith 2005b). ''Make sure that the in-text citations use the correct letters that correspond to the full citation in the "References" at the end of the article.''
* If the date of publication is unavailable, use "n.d." (meaning, no date)
* Many times authors use an edition of a book that was published long after the original publication. In such cases, many people put the original date of publication in square brackets followed by the date of publication of the edition used by the author who is making the citation. For example, a citation might be
::(Marx  1967)
:and the complete reference would be:
:: Marx, Karl  1967 '' Capital: A Critique of Political Economy''
[[Kategori: Garis panduan gaya penulisan|Sumber-sumber]]
[[af:Wikipedia:Haal bronne aan]]